Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D printer
Anyone got a 3D printer, and made some housings/cases for SHC devices?

I decided to give myself a little late christmas present and buy a Mendel90 kit from nophead. Anyone interested in my future experiences, or maybe someone wants to join in?
(12-28-2014, 03:31 AM)Inhumierer Wrote: Anyone got a 3D printer, and made some housings/cases for SHC devices?

I decided to give myself a little late christmas present and buy a Mendel90 kit from nophead. Anyone interested in my future experiences, or maybe someone wants to join in?

I thought I could use a 3D printer to design proper housings, but I couldn't yet justify the investment just for that. In any case, I would be interested to hear what your experience might have been so far.

Generally, having proper housings is a major point and shouldn't be underestimated. After all, some of the devices might be in plain sight every day.

For now, I have decided to try and see if I can use wood and some power tools to build something appropriate. Unfortunately, I have yet to get the first case done.
(02-10-2015, 08:00 AM)jayjay Wrote: I thought I could use a 3D printer to design proper housings, but I couldn't yet justify the investment just for that. In any case, I would be interested to hear what your experience might have been so far.
Justify the investment? That's easy! You need a 3D printer just because it's a cool techie toy Wink
(02-10-2015, 08:00 AM)jayjay Wrote: Generally, having proper housings is a major point and shouldn't be underestimated. After all, some of the devices might be in plain sight every day.
For now, I have decided to try and see if I can use wood and some power tools to build something appropriate. Unfortunately, I have yet to get the first case done.
I bought some "standard" housings from the usual suspects, but I don't really like the look n feel, and they are all too big or too small.
I made a few housings based on the "Guttagliss Hobbycolor", this is a 3mm PVC foam based plate. Available in different colors, cheap, easy to cut with a cutter knife. Welding them is hard, can be glued with a hotgun. But at least for me it's too difficult to have the parts cutted exactly enough to fit them together without some gaps, so these housings are basically ugly. That's why I didn't write a wiki page for those Wink
Maybe I'll give it another try when I find a nice paper cutter or similar to make the parts with smaller tolerances, but basically I believe a 3D printer will take out most of the PITA. So I read internet for quite a few hours, and I believe this Mendel90 is actually one of the best 3D printers, if you are willing to invest about 20 hours building it from a kit, and it's quite affordable.
Main reason why I didn't start building: During my recherches I read that you can't store a 3D printer anywhere in the basement, take it out, use it and pack it back in the basement as you want. When you move it, or the temperature changes a lot, it needs to be recalibrated. So now I'm struggling hard to find a place where it may stay without wifey complaining Wink
Edit: Typos
OK, it's been a long time, and unfortunately I have to do a lot of other things, beside building my devices at my smart home.
A few weeks ago I finished building my Mendel90, and after some (long) time tweaking the printer & slicer parameters, I did a housing for my Smarthomatic environment sensors with OpenSCAD.
It's published at Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2070769